Choosing a one pin sight

Let others out there hear your view on new and old kit.Give advice on tuning, arrows, archery, and other kit.............

Moderators: Jakkas, Guardian, hawkster, Gerhard, Ranger, jcdup, James

Choosing a one pin sight

Postby imkev » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:37 pm

So after my first SABA I have decided that I want to get myself a one pin sight.
I have no idea what make are good and what to look for in a good one pin sight

Any pointers and price range.
imkev
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby SV MAD » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:27 pm

What are you prepared to pay?

You can maybe get the entry levels at around R800, and then you go to HHA and spot hogg, which can be up to 2.5K.

Do you want a slider sight or a wheel sight like the spot hogg?
Elite Energy 35
80lb, 28.5DL.
Arrows: CE CXL 350 300fps (ABO), CE Piledriver 300 550gr (jag)

Hoyt Vantage Elite Plus
53lb, 28DL
Easton Eclipse X7 (Indoor)
SV MAD
Captain
Captain

Postby Guardian » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:29 pm

I would suggest that you look at a light, good value for money sight.
Don't buy the very cheepest one, because the slide tends to be jerky sometimes.
I would not buy the very heavy intricate expensive ones, but that's just me.

The biggest problem is what is available in your area.
The Trophy Ridge Pursuit is a very nice, very good value for money single pin, but it is always sold out.
Cobra makes a good cheap one. Same with TruGlo.

There is a cheaper HHA Optimiser one as well, but I don't know if it's available here.
Bowtech Reign 6 & Experience
600gn arrows
Guardian
Major General (Moderator)

Postby imkev » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:30 pm

Thanks for both replies, Im looking more at the wheel sights but not 100% sure what the benefits are of the two.

The Trophy Ridge Pursuit looks very nice but still think the wheel one should be more accurate or am I mistaking ?
imkev
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby SV MAD » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:51 am

Benefit of the wheel sight is that you can put more yardage on them, and that you can dial your 20yard mark precisely with the little thingie they have on it.

I have had both the HHA slider and the Boss Hogg, and prefer the Boss Hogg. However, as Guardian said, the other sliders like truGlo etc are also good.

See if you can get both at an arcehry shop and experiment at the shop, then you will see what you like.

Regarding weight, I like a heavy bow, thus they heavy Boss Hogg does not bother me. However, for other people, it might be just to heavy
Elite Energy 35
80lb, 28.5DL.
Arrows: CE CXL 350 300fps (ABO), CE Piledriver 300 550gr (jag)

Hoyt Vantage Elite Plus
53lb, 28DL
Easton Eclipse X7 (Indoor)
SV MAD
Captain
Captain

Postby Johanljordaan » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:55 pm

I own HHA single pins sights and then also a Sureloc Sportmans Special, if you can afford it get the Sureloc (R3000 about). This is one hel of a sight and the adjustments is very fine and solid. Love how you can set 3rd axis on this which my HHA's do not have. Plus I have a Viper scope with lens that I just pop into this for indoor shooting, works like a bomb
Athens Prostaff - Judgement
Johanljordaan
Recruit
Recruit

Postby imkev » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:27 pm

Thanks guys, I think tomorrow Ill give my local bow shops a call and see what one pin sights they have and go test them out the weekend.
imkev
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby ruanretief » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:32 pm

Trophy Ridge Pursuit yes please
Mathews Drenalin 29
Carbon Express Mayhem
NAP Hellrazors (125 gr) and NAP Spitfires (125gr)
ruanretief
Recruit
Recruit

Postby imkev » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:18 pm

Im getting mine tomorrow :D Will post pics later
imkev
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby imkev » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:14 am

Got my Trophy Ridge pursuit , now just to get the sight fine tuned.

Any tips on marking the sight ?
imkev
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Guardian » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:05 am

Use a pencil which you can rub out again. Or stick on another piece of tape over the marking area
I bought a program called OnTarget2 from Pinwheel Software over the net and print sight tapes with it. Works well and looks very professional.
I set it up using the distance between my 20 and 30 yards marks, had a few prints intill I got it right. And during a club hunt the other day we were playing and shooting at a target at 62 yards and I hit it in the middle without ever have tried the sight over 40 Yards. So the calibration for the arrow weight and speed is very accurate. You can print distances for as far as your sight allows.
600gn arrows
Guardian

Postby imkev » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:49 pm

Thanks for the advice, Im downloading the trail version of the software now and will see how it works.

I shot with the sight today and got it dialed on 20 and 30 was busy with 40 but not 100% sure shooting about 25-30 arrows before I make my mark.
But I have already had another idea and will use vinyl in bright colour long stripes will resemble 10 20 30 so on and short stripes will resemble 15 25 35 and so on.
imkev
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Guardian » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:28 am

Problem with the trial version of OnTarget2 program you can see how nice it works but you can't print sight tapes unless you buy it.
Also having the meter or yard lines on the tape helps a lot for further shots. You don't have to quess the in between yardages
600gn arrows
Guardian

Postby imkev » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:44 pm

I think at the moment I will use the manaul way and shoot my way to get every marking not only will I get to know my bow but it will give me alot more confidence when shooting od yards then I know what my bow does where.
imkev
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Guardian » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:08 pm

That's what I've done for many years.
Even if you just do the 10 yard markings accurately, you can fill in the 5 yard markings half way in between them and they'll be very accurate.
It's only at longer distances where a yard or two makes a difference that the one yard markings give you more confidence and accuracy.
If you can write that in manually too, you don't really need an expensive program to do it for you. Use a thin pen and ruler.

As a matter of fact, if you can do it manually, then remove the tape and scan it or take a photo of it, and then use an app or program on your pc to make it nice and professional looking and then print it again, it should come out the same as the professional one. There might be some trial and error involved untill the printed version matches your manual version perfectly.
600gn arrows
Guardian

Next

Return to Equipment Reviews