Carter 2 Shot

Let others out there hear your view on new and old kit.Give advice on tuning, arrows, archery, and other kit.............

Moderators: Jakkas, Guardian, hawkster, Gerhard, Ranger, jcdup, James

Carter 2 Shot

Postby mleskau » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:06 am

I Bought a Carter 2 shot last week. Due to "punching" the trigger on my Scott wrist release. Hoping to help with the panic. I also tried to use the Tru Ball ST360. Have not reached a comfortable anchor point. Does anybody shoot this carter release? I find little about it in Youtube and a guy at Magnum suggested the release to me, as its trigger is harder to punch. I really would appreciate some pointers on this release. I tried to buy the Tru Ball Center x, but the release is discontinued and very difficult to buy.
PSE Evolve 35
Bowtech RPM 360
Quad xd rest
HHA King Pin Sight
Piledriver 487g
mleskau
Private
Private

Re: Carter 2 Shot

Postby SV MAD » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:15 am

If you have target panic, why dont you move away from wrist straps?
You just exchanged one wrist strap for another, I dont think it will solve the problem.

Get a thumb trigger release (or even a back tension) and shoot with that
Also, take off your sight of your bow and just shoot at the bud without a sight (stand closer to the bud).

Focus on your shot execution, and feel how your back muscles should work to get the shot to go.

Good luck
Elite Energy 35
80lb, 28.5DL.
Arrows: CE CXL 350 300fps (ABO), CE Piledriver 300 550gr (jag)

Hoyt Vantage Elite Plus
53lb, 28DL
Easton Eclipse X7 (Indoor)
SV MAD
Captain
Captain

Postby Bernhardt » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:46 pm

Best way to get rid of punching is to put the trigger on the string an tape the claws closed. Then take shot as you would normally do. This immediately shows you how much you are punching. Do this a few times before shooting a few arrows. It helped me get rid of punching
Hunting:
MONSTER MR7 @ 78# and 28.5"
Boss Hog sight 5 pin
NAP Apache rest
GoldTip Kinetic 200 @ 540gr
Rage Hypodermic, SlickTricks, Nitron, Stinger buzzcut & Killzone

Field:
Bowtech Boss @ 60#
Spot Hog Real deal 5 pin
NAP Nighthawk rest
CC Nightmare 350 @ 400gr
Bernhardt
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Postby mleskau » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:35 am

Thank you for the tips. I tried a back tension release. Was a disaster. One guy told me that the draw length was too short. I bought a new module and extended the draw length. This was still a disaster. Bought the thumb release from stan. Could not get behind the peep properly. Shots were not consistent. The string loop was too close to the face.Sold the Stan and bought the Tru Ball ST 360. This makes the loop to be better when at full draw. Still shooting inconsistant and a few shots went off too early. I will try it with the tape. Blind baling was also tried. Must try to calm down during the shots. I shoot too quick, as soon as I see the pin on target, I fire. will try to test your suggestions.
Thanks, I appreciate your comments.
PSE Evolve 35
Bowtech RPM 360
Quad xd rest
HHA King Pin Sight
Piledriver 487g
mleskau
Private
Private

Postby MrBallistic » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:41 am

I wrote a very detailed article in the Bowhunter magazine on target panic and how to prevent that punching.
The article was entitled "Don't panic you got this". Have a read through this and it will explain everything that can be done.

With target panic the sooner you get onto the road to recovery the better. The longer it has been going on the longer it will take to retrain the brain which is what is necessary to get the "punching" out the system
MATHEWS HALON X COMP
MATHEWS HALON X PRO
MATHEWS Z7 MAGNUM
I shoot because I can, I want to and I enjoy therefore I continue shooting!!!!
MrBallistic
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby SV MAD » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:26 am

Take off you sight, get relaxed, get a good anchorpoint and then hold the draw and then release.

You need to train your brain that there is no sight
Elite Energy 35
80lb, 28.5DL.

Hoyt Vantage Elite Plus
53lb, 28DL
SV MAD
Captain
Captain

Postby mleskau » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:47 am

Thanks Guys.
Taking a small break, as I seem to not concentrate on the shot. The Carter 2 shot was a good idea, as I am shooting better. The first 20 - 30 shots are spot on and I can hit the target up to 40 yards well. Somehow then the mind kicks in and the shots are hasty and last time I pulled so badly that I missed the target completely. I get so angry at myself and decided to stop a while, re-try blind baling and taking my time before shooting again. Hope that this will work.
Will try to do as suggested and start new.
PSE Evolve 35
Bowtech RPM 360
Quad xd rest
HHA King Pin Sight
Piledriver 487g
mleskau
Private
Private

Postby Thunderhead » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:31 am

Dont shoot when you tired. If you pick up the bow on a day and you dont shoot well put it away. By forcing yourself to shoot when you not your best you learning bad form and muscle memory.
Oh and shoot at bigger butts and bigger targets so you not scared you miss .
Thunderhead
Corporal
Corporal

Postby mleskau » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:13 pm

The patience and training by blind bailing helped. On top, I bought a Carter Attraction resistance release. It forced me to aim and just aim until I pull my elbow backwards and the release goes off. Could after a while go back to the 2 shot and the muscle memory of aiming and slowly pull the elbow back was successful. I can at any time go back to the attraction if I start with the panic again. Worked great for me.
PSE Evolve 35
Bowtech RPM 360
Quad xd rest
HHA King Pin Sight
Piledriver 487g
mleskau
Private
Private

Postby SV MAD » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:53 am

mleskau wrote:The patience and training by blind bailing helped. On top, I bought a Carter Attraction resistance release. It forced me to aim and just aim until I pull my elbow backwards and the release goes off. Could after a while go back to the 2 shot and the muscle memory of aiming and slowly pull the elbow back was successful. I can at any time go back to the attraction if I start with the panic again. Worked great for me.

Great stuff.
I have both the stan element and the Carter evolution resistance releases. It has improved my form markedly. So glad that I used that.
Elite Energy 35
80lb, 28.5DL.

Hoyt Vantage Elite Plus
53lb, 28DL
SV MAD
Captain
Captain

Return to Equipment Reviews