Cold Steel Cheap shots??

Let others out there hear your view on new and old kit.Give advice on tuning, arrows, archery, and other kit.............

Moderators: Jakkas, Guardian, hawkster, Gerhard, Ranger, jcdup, James

Re: Cold Steel Cheap shots??

Postby Philip Roets » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:40 am

henried wrote:Only the ColdSteel video gave positive feedback on this product. In that video, if I have my facts right, a stinger BH did not go through plywood, but this CS BH did... :shock:


I would much rather shoot my Stingers, at least if it breaks Mike from Magnus will replace it.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bowtech Insanity CPX 80lb
Easton FMJ 250 Dangerous Game
Magnus Stinger
User avatar
Philip Roets
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 672
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:51 am
Location: Worcester

Re: Cold Steel Cheap shots??

Postby Eraser » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:42 am

Eish, I would really want you guys to support Bowhunter magazine, get it and read all about the Cheap Shot. I'll post here in which month's it will be.

From the videos it is clear that the intention of this broadhead is not to replace your hunting broadhead but to have a cheap broadhead to shoot with when you think the outcome of the shot will damage your broadhead.

Arrrgggg how I ache to spill the beans.........
The Buck stops here!

2014 Bowtech Insanity CPXL 80# @ 70# 32" DL
Vapor Trail Pro V
Carbon Core Stalker 250 (568gn 15% FOC) @ 280f/s
KE 98.8ft-lb
Mom. 0.706 slugs
User avatar
Eraser
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 1781
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 5:02 pm
Location: Pretoria (Wonderboom Suid)

Re: Cold Steel Cheap shots??

Postby MrBallistic » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:02 am

DanielX wrote:Keen to read the test. But just because it's cold steel, does not guarantee a great product. I had two cold steel blades that didn't hold there edge well, and my budget CRKT worked better, that could be the exception but just saying.


There are so many knock off's these days. A true cold steel will set you back a few hundred backs at least.
I know of a cold steel blade saving a fathers life while he was being mauled by a wounded buffalo, the son jumped in with knife to stab the buff to death.

Vic I guess this one is.....To be continued.........In a Bowhunter near you :rofl:
MATHEWS HALON X COMP
MATHEWS HALON X PRO
MATHEWS Z7 MAGNUM
I shoot because I can, I want to and I enjoy therefore I continue shooting!!!!
MrBallistic
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
 
Posts: 982
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:34 pm

Re: Cold Steel Cheap shots??

Postby Bernhardt » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:19 am

If you want hunting to be a sure thing everytime, go to your buthery. There is no way you wil cator for everything! Rather then use bullet heads on your arrow. My intention in buying the best bow, arrow ect. Is to get the shot as accurate as posible, not to shoot and hope my broadhead will go through bone.

I always in these debates ask myselve the question. Who is the bigger gambler? The hunter who believes he can shoot through thick bone or the hunter who knows he needs to by all means avoid thick bone?

Vick dit lyk my jy het aandele by die Bowhunter :P

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Hunting:
MONSTER MR7 @ 78# and 28.5"
Boss Hog sight 5 pin
NAP Apache rest
GoldTip Kinetic 200 @ 540gr
Rage Hypodermic, SlickTricks, Nitron, Stinger buzzcut & Killzone

Field:
Bowtech Boss @ 60#
Spot Hog Real deal 5 pin
NAP Nighthawk rest
CC Nightmare 350 @ 400gr
User avatar
Bernhardt
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
 
Posts: 835
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:13 pm

Re: Cold Steel Cheap shots??

Postby Bernhardt » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:24 am

Philip Roets wrote:
henried wrote:Only the ColdSteel video gave positive feedback on this product. In that video, if I have my facts right, a stinger BH did not go through plywood, but this CS BH did... :shock:


I would much rather shoot my Stingers, at least if it breaks Mike from Magnus will replace it.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Philip kan jy asb bietjie Mike se details stuur asb. Het 3 wat gebreek het

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Hunting:
MONSTER MR7 @ 78# and 28.5"
Boss Hog sight 5 pin
NAP Apache rest
GoldTip Kinetic 200 @ 540gr
Rage Hypodermic, SlickTricks, Nitron, Stinger buzzcut & Killzone

Field:
Bowtech Boss @ 60#
Spot Hog Real deal 5 pin
NAP Nighthawk rest
CC Nightmare 350 @ 400gr
User avatar
Bernhardt
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
 
Posts: 835
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:13 pm

Re: Cold Steel Cheap shots??

Postby DanielX » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:45 am

MrBallistic wrote:
DanielX wrote:Keen to read the test. But just because it's cold steel, does not guarantee a great product. I had two cold steel blades that didn't hold there edge well, and my budget CRKT worked better, that could be the exception but just saying.


There are so many knock off's these days. A true cold steel will set you back a few hundred backs at least.
I know of a cold steel blade saving a fathers life while he was being mauled by a wounded buffalo, the son jumped in with knife to stab the buff to death.

Vic I guess this one is.....To be continued.........In a Bowhunter near you :rofl:

The one I remember cost R950 , a few years back, and I can guarantee, it's not a "knockoff", bought through a reputable dealer. My current EDC is in fact, a cold steel, alternated with a spyderco. :rofl:
Point I was making, that even though the company has a great reputation and makes great products, does not guarantee this is a success. I'll wait for the magazine to come in my postbox to read more.
DanielX
Private First Class
Private First Class
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:24 am

Re: Cold Steel Cheap shots??

Postby Philip Roets » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:52 am

Hulle kontak details is hier op hulle website. Ek het vir hom n foto gestuur van die een wat ek gebreek het en hy het vir my n nuwe een gepos.

http://www.magnusbroadheads.com/pages/Contact-Us.html


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bowtech Insanity CPX 80lb
Easton FMJ 250 Dangerous Game
Magnus Stinger
User avatar
Philip Roets
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 672
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:51 am
Location: Worcester

Re: Cold Steel Cheap shots??

Postby Bernhardt » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:07 am

Philip Roets wrote:Hulle kontak details is hier op hulle website. Ek het vir hom n foto gestuur van die een wat ek gebreek het en hy het vir my n nuwe een gepos.

http://www.magnusbroadheads.com/pages/Contact-Us.html


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


Baie dankie Philip, sal hom kontak!
Hunting:
MONSTER MR7 @ 78# and 28.5"
Boss Hog sight 5 pin
NAP Apache rest
GoldTip Kinetic 200 @ 540gr
Rage Hypodermic, SlickTricks, Nitron, Stinger buzzcut & Killzone

Field:
Bowtech Boss @ 60#
Spot Hog Real deal 5 pin
NAP Nighthawk rest
CC Nightmare 350 @ 400gr
User avatar
Bernhardt
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
 
Posts: 835
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:13 pm

Re: Cold Steel Cheap shots??

Postby Bow Joe » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:21 pm

Bernhardt

I know an accurate shot is more important than breaking leg bones, but if you don't shoot 100% at a SABA it means you would have wounded an animal in the field. It is for scenarios like that that I shoot heavier equipment nog because I hunt with the intent of breaking bones. I forgot to add that I mostly hunt by walking and stalking and then there is a bit more that can go wrong.

But like It said it is a personal choice.
84# Hoyt Double XL @ 32 1/4"
Carbon Core Big Game Nitro 250
125gr SlickTrick Magnum
653gr @ 271fps
Bow Joe
Private First Class
Private First Class
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:11 am
Location: Pretoria

Re: Cold Steel Cheap shots??

Postby Eraser » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:19 pm

I like these debates............

1) -MrB- Everything is at Rean. I believe Cheap Shot review will be in July edition of Bowhunter.
2) -Bernhardt, SABA en Bowhunter werk nou nog nouer saam. Boogjag het amper soos kerk en politiek geraak, almal weet dit is daar maar niemand praat oor dit nie. Saam poog ons om weer 'n "Buzz" te kry rondom boogjag. Stap een is om meer relevante artikels te kry en dit van 'n grooter bron.
Die dat ek laaik wat op die forum gebeur. Ons begin weer gesels. Ek het gedink Facebook druk die forum dood maar dit begin lyk dat die forum verseker 'n baie beter bron van goeie inligting is. Ek sidder vir wat meeste van die kere op Facebook geplaas word.

3) Ek het al baie lank terug besef dat ten minste 98% van ons boogjagters het nie die toerusting wat deur dik been sal skiet nie. Dus is daar 98% boogjagters wat staat maak op goeie skootplasing en as skootplasing nie reg is nie dan gaan die broadhead wat voor op daai jagter se pyl is nie 'n verskil maak nie. Hetsy dit been tref of deur die maag gaan.

Meeste ouens jag met 'n boog wat IBO van 320 - 335f/s, op 65# en 29" trek lengte gestel is en pyl van so 450gr. Met die regte BH voor op daai pyl sal so setup selfs Eland drop op 'n plank-dwars skoot al tref dit rib op ingang. Maar daai pyl sal niks maak aan dik been nie al het jy 'n GK of Viking voor op.
The Buck stops here!

2014 Bowtech Insanity CPXL 80# @ 70# 32" DL
Vapor Trail Pro V
Carbon Core Stalker 250 (568gn 15% FOC) @ 280f/s
KE 98.8ft-lb
Mom. 0.706 slugs
User avatar
Eraser
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 1781
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 5:02 pm
Location: Pretoria (Wonderboom Suid)

Re: Cold Steel Cheap shots??

Postby Bernhardt » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:37 pm

Bow Joe wrote:Bernhardt

I know an accurate shot is more important than breaking leg bones, but if you don't shoot 100% at a SABA it means you would have wounded an animal in the field. It is for scenarios like that that I shoot heavier equipment nog because I hunt with the intent of breaking bones. I forgot to add that I mostly hunt by walking and stalking and then there is a bit more that can go wrong.

But like It said it is a personal choice.


I can not cater for that shot that hits bone so I use all the practice and knowledge that I have to make the best shot I can. If the day comes where I hit thick bone, I will be very dissapointed in myself as I then did something that I knew I wasn't comfortable with.

My goal in SABA is not to shoot 100%, it is to take all the shots on peg 5 to establish in what situations I will be able to take the shots. This gives me reference in a W&S situation, to exactly know if I can take the shot or not. To me it is irrelevant if you are shooting out of a hide or W&S, at the end you need to know if you are comfortable to take the shot. I have never taken a shot where I was comfortable and missed the spot that I aimed for. I have felt uncomfortable to take a shot in a hide as I have not practiced shooting through a small tear with the arrow and aim through the shading net, so I did not shoot. But now that I have tested shooting like that, I will probably next time take the shot.
Hunting:
MONSTER MR7 @ 78# and 28.5"
Boss Hog sight 5 pin
NAP Apache rest
GoldTip Kinetic 200 @ 540gr
Rage Hypodermic, SlickTricks, Nitron, Stinger buzzcut & Killzone

Field:
Bowtech Boss @ 60#
Spot Hog Real deal 5 pin
NAP Nighthawk rest
CC Nightmare 350 @ 400gr
User avatar
Bernhardt
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
 
Posts: 835
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:13 pm

Re: Cold Steel Cheap shots??

Postby Guardian » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:20 pm

Let's not judge a new product unless we can prove whether it's good or bad. :wink:

Anyhow, we also got some packets in the shop from Sharp Edge and they surely look pretty lethal. We haven't tested any yet but I can see no reason they won't perform as intended.
I'll check the videos soon but as you know, the proof of the pudding is using it yourself.

A few ideas to take into consideration:
1. Because they are open blade broadheads, they might not shoot the same POI as field points out of all bows.
So I would definitely recommend to sacrifice one into a target to check your bow's compatibility with the broadhead (see that it flies where you aim).
2. Because they are "one shot" broadheads, I won't use them more than once unless they are still shaving hair off my arm. I can't see how polymer edges can be resharpened like steel blades - it's a mystery how they get them shaving sharp in the first place. I'm sure they will break less readily than broadheads with aluminum ferrules and they won't bend I'm sure. So should be very tough.
3. I'm not particularly fond of serrated blades for a surgically clean cut (even though a serrated Spyderco knife blade makes you bleed easily), but there have been a few serrated broadhead blades that have proven their worth.

If we go hunting in the next week or two, I'll grab a packet and try them out.
Bowtech Reign 6 & Experience
600gn arrows
User avatar
Guardian
Major General (Moderator)
Major General (Moderator)
 
Posts: 4009
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:05 pm
Location: Gold Coast, Australia

Re: Cold Steel Cheap shots??

Postby MrBallistic » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:06 am

DanielX wrote:
MrBallistic wrote:
DanielX wrote:Keen to read the test. But just because it's cold steel, does not guarantee a great product. I had two cold steel blades that didn't hold there edge well, and my budget CRKT worked better, that could be the exception but just saying.


There are so many knock off's these days. A true cold steel will set you back a few hundred backs at least.
I know of a cold steel blade saving a fathers life while he was being mauled by a wounded buffalo, the son jumped in with knife to stab the buff to death.

Vic I guess this one is.....To be continued.........In a Bowhunter near you :rofl:

The one I remember cost R950 , a few years back, and I can guarantee, it's not a "knockoff", bought through a reputable dealer. My current EDC is in fact, a cold steel, alternated with a spyderco. :rofl:
Point I was making, that even though the company has a great reputation and makes great products, does not guarantee this is a success. I'll wait for the magazine to come in my postbox to read more.

Sharpening blades and keeping that edge has a lot to do with the angle a blade is sharpened at. It also has to do with the stones and sharpening method use as well. Just saying.....
MATHEWS HALON X COMP
MATHEWS HALON X PRO
MATHEWS Z7 MAGNUM
I shoot because I can, I want to and I enjoy therefore I continue shooting!!!!
MrBallistic
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
 
Posts: 982
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:34 pm

Re: Cold Steel Cheap shots??

Postby henried » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:22 am

...
Attachments
19023390_1575144539183173_1336827966067856032_o.jpg
19023390_1575144539183173_1336827966067856032_o.jpg (190.68 KiB) Viewed 297 times
Life Christian Adventure
www.lifeca.org
User avatar
henried
Major
Major
 
Posts: 1991
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:49 pm
Location: Vanderbijlpark

Re: Cold Steel Cheap shots??

Postby henried » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:53 pm

Rean se toets met die Trad boog...
https://youtu.be/u2T_ihUVj7E
Life Christian Adventure
www.lifeca.org
User avatar
henried
Major
Major
 
Posts: 1991
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:49 pm
Location: Vanderbijlpark

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Reviews

cron