Building a Traditional Bow

If you shoot anything, that has clean natual and pure lines, and normaly made fom a natural wood....have a look in here.

Moderators: Jakkas, Guardian, Gerhard, Ranger, jcdup, James

Building a Traditional Bow

Postby snowbeast » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:39 pm

Good day,

I am loving my compound bow, but after a bit of reading I am interested in building my own bow.
I'm hoping the gurus would be able to give me some pointers as to what style is suited for your first build, where to get the appropriate materials ( I don't have a tree to cut down) and are their any plans out there.

Thanks in advance,

Bruce
2010 Hoyt Turbo Hawk
Johannes Schabbort Longbow 45@29
snowbeast
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Building a Traditional Bow

Postby SV MAD » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:53 am

I am also following this...
Elite Energy 35
80lb, 28.5DL.
Arrows: CE CXL 350 300fps (ABO), CE Piledriver 300 550gr (jag)

Hoyt Vantage Elite Plus
53lb, 28DL
Easton Eclipse X7 (Indoor)
SV MAD
Captain
Captain

Postby Mac » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:30 am

Bruce,

A couple on here build bows but traffic is quiet this side!

I have had success with local bamboo, basically two laminations with a slim riser in the middle, longbow that is with a bit of reflex built in.

Only hastle is the two lams need to be tillered before glue up, all the strength is in the outside of the boo so you can only really remove wood from the sides.

I have made all wood longbows with maple lams which lasted well and had fair cast. This is imported wood so not as cheap and you need to find someone with a table saw to cut it up, I never ground my laminations with a thickness planer but that is the better option. You can get glass to add front and back but then your looking at more $s, heat box, form etc.

Check out Tradgang for a whole bunch of build alongs.
Mac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby castlelgr » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:24 am

I have started building my own. On my 4th attempt, first 2 snapped because I got to cocky with them and 3rd one was a trial run for me to experiment with.
Got a 1.5 meter oak board and have just finished designing the shape. The trial one I did was the same height and I managed to get a 23# draw length to it with perfectly formed limbs, will probably give it to my daughter. Not sure on poundage yet, but it can shoot through tin cans no problem and can fling an arrow about two and half blocks.
This time I am aiming for 28# draw length but don't think it will make it without weakening the limbs a bit.
Its hard work if you don't have a jig saw etc... but fun as hell until they snap. Hopefully that wont happen again.
castlelgr
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Mac » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:22 am

1.5m is prety short but congrats on getting a bow made that shoots.

Maybe try something a little longer, 68" range. Seems to be easier to work with. If you start even longer, say 70", you can pike it (cut it shorter) to get more poundage out of it if it comes in under weight.

Enjoy and welcome.
Mac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby castlelgr » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:35 am

Thanks Mac

This one will be for my daughter, Im going to make it a bit lighter so she can use it without having to go to the gym.
Next one which I will start once this one is done is going to be 6 foot. Im hoping to actually find a stave I can use, when I stayed in England there were loads. Not so much in Cape Town, it would be so much better with a stave rather than a board.
castlelgr
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Mac » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:39 am

Nice.

A stave is harder work than a board bow, depending on the wood.

Where abouts in the queens country are you from?
Mac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby castlelgr » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:57 pm

Im South African but lived in Southampton area for 10 years before coming back to Cape Town.

The trees there grow straight, unlike the cape town trees. So a lot easier to find staves or branches that can make decent bows, especially elm, oak and yew.. The only bloody thing I managed to bring back from there bowmaking wise was my drawknife.
castlelgr
Recruit
Recruit

Postby castlelgr » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:04 am

Errrm does anyone have any idea where one could acquire some sinew in Cape Town?
Ok also needing bowstring :)
castlelgr
Recruit
Recruit

Postby castlelgr » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:35 pm

Ok oak boards work reasonably well.
1.5m long
draw length I am only taking it to 27 inches at the moment just in case. But once I have backed it I reckon it will go to 29inches.
Drew weight around 35 pounds more will be added once backed and fully drawn.
castlelgr
Recruit
Recruit

Postby fujimo » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:56 pm

there are a few suppliers on line- in the states etc. i have used cow sinew- not as good as deer- but it does work.
start talking to abattoirs, tell them its for bows and pique their interest, they might help you.
or find someone with a game ranch- hunting with tourists- they will have the opportunity for a pile of sinew.
actually somebody butchering goats would be a great place to start- thats sinew should be good- find out who the halaal butcheries are in capetown- they will be doing fresh goats regularly- and i am sure they might add a value to the tendons- but it could be a small value. then all you have to do is to process the tendons into sinew- and thats very very easy!
cheers
wayne
fujimo
Private
Private

Return to Traditional Archery