Advice please

If you shoot anything, that has clean natual and pure lines, and normaly made fom a natural wood....have a look in here.

Moderators: Jakkas, Guardian, Gerhard, Ranger, jcdup, James

Advice please

Postby Ryan » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:47 pm

Hi guys as some of have seen I been asking about compounds a lot. But I want to know if I could start with traditional bow or is it advisable to start modern and the go trad? Thanks.
Ryan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Advice please

Postby Thunderhead » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:05 pm

The two types of bows are as different as chalk and cheese. What do you want to get out of archery?
Thunderhead
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Ryan » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:12 pm

I want to hunt primarily. I'm not interested in long range stuff and am looking for simplicity although not essential. As the modern bows seem far more complicated. That is why I'm asking lots of questions as I know very little about bowhunting. So any advice you more experienced guys can offer will be very welcome.
Ryan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby Thunderhead » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:38 am

A compound might look more complicated but it is far easier to shoot accurately. If you want to hunt then there is no contest get a compound. A trad bow is fun but can be very limiting and you have to constantly train with it if you want to shoot well. If you want a trad bow I would suggest a very light one 30bls to begin with so you can learn proper form and not learn bad habits. To hunt I suggest about 50lbs and dont shoot over 12 yards.
Thunderhead
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Ryan » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:33 am

Thanks for the advice. I'll do some more thinking before I decide which one I go for.
Ryan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby Mac » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:48 pm

Single string all the way, we have too few of us!

Seriously though, I've never shot a wheel bow, they are pretty awesome as far as efficiency and accuracy are concerned.

'Trad' bows have made huge strides over the years and a 50# will do what a 60# would do 10 years ago.

Your choice. Lots here shoot both.
Mac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby Ryan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:00 am

Thanks guys:)
Ryan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby fujimo » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:46 am

thats a tricky question Ryan- everybody has their own opinion- but as thunderhead said start light, learn good form.

but here is my opinion- this is not the only way-
i started with compound- and very quickly got tired of it.
i started with trad archery and what a terrible journey- no body to help me shoot- i could not shoot consistently even at short ranges- i was getting very despondent- about that time we immigrated to canada- and i found some people who gave me some real help.
long story short...
i dont like compounds- they are too heavy and cumbersome- might as well carry a rifle- sights can get bumped- you need to shoot them vertically, sure they do have some reach- but if one is getting into archery to challenge one self- maybe follow a bit in our forefathers steps a bit- well that answers it self. my feelings if shooting a compound- i would rather take my trad muzzle loader- same weight, has sights, range- kinda similar.
now again i say this is my opinion- i dont hate compound shooters- have many friends who shoot bows with training wheels :D i just dont like the bows- we are all different its all cool! any from of archery is better than no archery- and that is the bottom line- as long as we are having fun, and being honest with ourselves.

having gone down the absolutely unnecessarily long road of learning to shoot, i know how it feels- having said that, i have taught many rank beginners to shoot- and no kidding- within the first hour- i can have them shooting 6 to 10" groupings at 12 yards or even a tad further- doesnt take them long- with a bit of practice at home to be shooting good 6" type groupings out to 15, 18 or 20 yards.
in fact most people that i have helped have technically had the ability to hunt within the first day or so- basic shooting skill wise- but they would just lack the confidence personally to do it- it would also be unethical for me to send them hunting that quickly- as so much could go wrong and result in a wounded animal. the CORRECT form, really needs to be cemented in place- thats what the practice is for- to imprint muscle memory so that the shooting becomes instinctive- and not a conscious process- you can then focus on the prey and the shot placement- and not actually making the shot- that should happen without you even thinking about it.

so yes practice- but that is half the fun- i NEVER shoot at targets- its boring, repetitive, and can teach bad form-inadvertently!- there are way more efficient ways to practice - for hunting that is- unless you want to compete in target archery- then thats very different.

thunderhead is right- limit your range- i have shot many deer at 5 and six yards- even missed at 5 yards :oops: my most comfortable hunting range is 12 to 18 yards- and i see a lot of animals in that range- bow hunting is a completely different approach to hunting than other forms of hunting- to a few it comes naturally- but most of us need to be shown a few pointers and a little guidance goes a long way- i guess none of us were born to hunt instinctively like a wild animal- there is a lot we need to learn- you need a good, kind patient mentor- or get on here and asks tons of questions!

good luck mate- its an amazing journey- dont rush it- savor it!!!
fujimo
Private
Private

Postby Ryan » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:21 pm

Thanks for the advice. I won't rush it I will savor it. I'm looking forward to getting my first bow.
Ryan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Return to Traditional Archery