Guava wood as a bow wood?

If you shoot anything, that has clean natual and pure lines, and normaly made fom a natural wood....have a look in here.

Moderators: Jakkas, Guardian, Gerhard, Ranger, jcdup, James

Guava wood as a bow wood?

Postby Ryan » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:18 am

Pretty much as the title reads guys. Can I use this wood as a bow wood? If not what do suggest I use that I can get locally? Thanks in advance.
Ryan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Guava wood as a bow wood?

Postby castlelgr » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:50 am

As long as its a hard wood and straight as hell with very little blemishes pretty much anything can be used.
castlelgr
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Johanvn » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:38 am

I've heard some good reports about both moerbei and assegaai wood. Swarthout also work very well.
It depends very much on what/how you plan to make a bow. Do you plan to make a selfbow, or a laminate, do you plan to make a "board bow" (use a plank), a stave, or a sapling bow? Each of these have different considerations for choosing the wood.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. ... -Terry Pratchett-

Matthews DXT.
Johanvn
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby Ryan » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:22 pm

Thanks. I don't really know what type I would build. What do you recommend?
Ryan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby castlelgr » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:21 pm

If you can find a straight stave of hardwood I would use that. Planks or boards are ok but need to be treated carefully and only certain woods seem to be able to handle the pressure unless they have a one growth ring.
If using aboard see if you can hickory it is a lot more forgiving than other woods.
castlelgr
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Johanvn » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:20 pm

Hi Ryan,

Sorry for the terribly slow reply. I don't visit this forum too often :)
My recommendation is to get a board that was selected and cut specifically for bow making, Johnny Snyman sells some if you're interested. He also stocks sinew for backing etc. http://heartwoodbowsonline.com/wordpress/?page_id=5

For the best advice on how to actually tiller the bow et. I strongly recommend the bowyer's bench forum on http://tradgang.com
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. ... -Terry Pratchett-

Matthews DXT.
Johanvn
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby Hivner » Tue May 12, 2015 7:34 am

One of the guys over in Hawaii makes the most awesome bows out of guava that you can imagine. I'm sure he'll post on here as soon as he sees this.
Hivner
Recruit
Recruit

Postby kenneroids » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:54 am

Yew (Taxus Baccata) The "Longbows" used historically in Europe were made from the wood of this tree species. The wood of the Yew tree is both strong and flexible. as long as its a hard wood that would be fine in making bow.
kenneroids
Recruit
Recruit

Postby fujimo » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:19 am

as Johannvn said the common old mulberry is a great bow wood- treat it as one wood a hickory stave bow- keep it wide, and flat- the longer the better ( yet to suit your draw length).
be careful about just using a hardwood- many hardwoods make good bellies but need backing, in the form of sinew,wood backings( hickory, white oak, maple etc- good tension strong woods) or bamboo- otherwise the backs will fail. this is not a tough or a big deal to do. some hardwoods are just not suitable -cherry being the first one that springs to mind - red oak can be iffy, and many others.
some hardwoods- like osage orange- will allow you to chase a ring on the back thus creating an unviolated back and not need backing- some like hickory , maple , white oak are great on their own, or work as backings for other bows- on their own they can take a fair amount of set- so correct design is absolute, careful tillering, and tempering the belly will all help mitigate this.
good luck
cheers
fujimo
Private
Private

Postby fujimo » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:11 am

Hey Wayne,

I called Manny of north shore primitive about what size he uses Just because I have yet to see a 6 in guava tree... He said 3 inch is about as big as he uses. 4in is a real big strawberry guava.

As far as guava goes there are several different kinds In Hawaii. I have been told to use strawberry guava. These do produce fruit. The fruit is small red sphere about the size of a nickel. They are very bright red and when ripe taste just like a strawberry.

Common guava has yellow fruits just larger than a golf ball with a pink center. According to the folks I have spoken to, common guava makes a decent bow, but is not as good as strawberry guava.

There is also japanese guava here that has white flakey bark and fruits that look like little bright yellow pears, I have been told to avoid this wood for bow making.

Here are some pictures of the different kinds of guava we find here commonly.

Strawberry Guava
-

Common Guava
-

Japanese Guava
-

I hope this helps your buddy out.

--------------------
2014 Bear Montana 45#
1974 Bear K-Mag 45#
1968 Bear Cub 50#
1965 Bear Grizzly zebra 50#