selfbow makers?

If you shoot anything, that has clean natual and pure lines, and normaly made fom a natural wood....have a look in here.

Moderators: Jakkas, Guardian, Gerhard, Ranger, jcdup, James

Have you ever made a tradbow?

Yes, and its good enough to hunt with
22%
Yes, but it broke :(
17%
No, but I'm planning to make one
17%
Nope.
44%

Total votes : 18

selfbow makers?

Postby Johanvn » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:25 pm

OK, How many here have made their own selfbows that were GOOD ENOUGH TO HUNT WITH?

I spend a lot of time on the tradgang forum and they have a bow trade every year. Each person submit what they would like to receive i.t.o. draw weight/draw length right vs left hand, etc. Then each bowyer is assigned a person for whom they must make the bow. You are not allowed to tell though. After 5/6 months everyone send their bows of to the trade partners. Just thought it might be an awesome thing to do locally IF we have enough people who are good enough to make a decent selfbow....
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. ... -Terry Pratchett-

Matthews DXT.
Johanvn
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby impact » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:40 pm

een van my maas het vir ons n stuk hout gekry om te begin maar dit klink maklik maar net om te begin is al klaar n mission ek sien baie uit daarna om dit te probeer as ons begin sal ek beslus begin advies vra
maar om een vir iemand anders te bou hell dis nice
ons kan dit doen maar ek garantee jou ek gan jou indoen :twisted:
impact
Major
Major

Postby Johanvn » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:58 pm

Dis hoekom die 6 maande tydperk daar is. Sodat jy 'n paar kan maak as dit moet, todat een goed genoeg is om met jou naam op na 'n ander jagter innie land te gaan :)
Van die boe wat op tradgang so weggee word lyk soos kunswerke...daai ouens doen GROOT moeite! Dis sommer slangvel backings of bamboes of take down recurves, ens ens...

Kyk bv hier vir 'n voorbeeld of twee
http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=003023

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=003444

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=003309
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. ... -Terry Pratchett-

Matthews DXT.
Johanvn
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby impact » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:25 pm

daai takedown is baie mooi sal glad nie mind om so een te he nie
impact
Major
Major

Postby wayne nicol » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:53 pm

sure, even though i now live in canada, im still a safa at heart.
and would love to get involved in a bow swap.i would love to get a bow made from some indigenous s.a. wood.

come on guys- its the motive that counts. dont worry if you feel if your bow might not be up to some preconcieved standard.
just get in and do it.
this is how lasting friendships are forged.

good luck.
wayne nicol
Private
Private

Postby F.L.A.S.H » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:27 pm

iF ANYONE IS INTERESTED IN MAKING AND DONATING A BOW, I AM MORE THAN WILLING TO BE A RECIEVER :D
F.L.A.S.H
Private
Private

Postby Johanvn » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:18 am

Tradgang's annual trade is now open for signup. I've already joined :)

Have an awesome 2011!

Matthews DXT.
Johanvn
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby Andre van Tonder » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:22 pm

Johan jy kort een opsie ... ja, maar dit was net goed vir teikenskiet :lol:

Ek het baie jare terug 'n boog uit bamboes gemaak. Die enigste materiaal sterk genoeg vir 'n snaar was 'n stuk van my pa se bromponie se remkabels :shock: Ek was noot bekommerd oor snaarrek nie :lol: :lol:

Die boog het 'n pylrus, , visier, nock punt, en kisser gehad. Die armskerm, tab en pyle was natuurlik ook self gemaak.

Ek kon die boog taamlik akuraat skiet tot so op 25 tree. Daar was 'n wavrag foute op die boog, maar dit het my tegniek voldoende ontwikkel sodat ek die basiese goed mooi onder beheer gehad het toe ek my PSE Sabre gekoop het.

Johan, jy plaas my in 'n grootversoeking, maar ek het ander planne vir die jaar en gaan nie nog tyd he om 'n boog ook te bou nie ... hoe lekker dit ook al mag wees :wink: :wink: :wink:
It is by doing today what others won't that we will have tomorrow what others don't
Andre van Tonder
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby Mac » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:39 pm

Would have to vote on two options.

Built about a dozen longbows, broke 9. Started whilst looking through a trad, bow magazine whilst working in Mozambique without the faintest idea what I was doing, but hell I enjoyed it.

Got three that are still going, 35#, 40# and a good hunting bow of 57#.

Planing a Hybrid for this year and pretty sure its gonna be a shooter of note. Ain't good enough to make one for a swop........ YET! :wink:
Mac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby Johanvn » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:01 pm

I managed to finish my tradebow on time and its already arrived at its recipient, a man know as Vannilabear on the TradGang forum 8) . If you're interested you can view the pics he's posted and his comments at
http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=004972;p=120

Still waiting on my own bow to arrive, hopefully it makes it through SA customs and postal services in one piece :shock:

For those interested. The bow I made was 60# @ 28" The riser is made from African walnut and the rest is bamboo and glass. It shoots like a demon too...I was quite sad to ship it off. Oh...and the shipping to the US cost a bloody fortune. R 1523!!!! And that was less than HALF what DHL wanted. :( Next time I'll make something short enough to send in normal post.

Matthews DXT.
Johanvn
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby Johanvn » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:07 pm

Forgot to post pictures of the bow I received. So here it is. I received an AMAZING bow from a tradgang member called "Osagetree". He made me a 65# @ 28" osage orange "character bow". The bow is a 2 piece take down and has skins from different snakes on the different limbs. Blacksnake on the one, copperhead on the other. The bow is called the "North American Snake Fight".

Last edited by Johanvn on Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matthews DXT.
Johanvn
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby johanj » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:54 am

What a fantastic parcel to receive in the post. Great bow and so unique.
Always strive for Quality-of-Life....
Hoyt Alphamax 35 - 70# - 31"DL
Hoyt Alpha Elite - 60# - 30"DL
johanj
Captain
Captain

Return to Traditional Archery