My Lifetime Target Project

Have anything you made yourself that is archery related? This is the place to show and tell...

Moderators: Guardian, hawkster

My Lifetime Target Project

Postby Pietleeu » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:49 pm

:idea: So inspired by everyone building their own targets, I went reading up on this forum and archery talk.. I used a combination of a few ideas.. But lets start.... At the start ! (Oh and I will post pics as I progress-im typing this initial post from my phone)

My first target is made up of the packaging boxes of our heat pumps. It stops the arrows a few inches in, but is a real pain to pull out. It really grips like crazy.. Until the boxes are shot.. Then it almost goes right through. I countered this by moving the boxes around every few shots..

Then I went reading, got a few ideas and started the project. I went and bought 76x38 roofing timber and some 38x38 asswell. I built the basic stand/feet, about 400mm high and the target area 800x800 its 250 deep(but knowing what I know now, I would make it 150). I put everything together with wood glue, chipboard screws and a cordless drill.

Then I put Garden Mesh(plastic) front and back and stapled it in place... That's my basic target, I'm planing on using burlap or "streepsak" as the face.

For the filling I was gonna use plastic bags and shrink wrap.. But after checking what I had at the factory, I found the "lappies" or cleaning rags we buy for R10/kg neatly wrapped in 5kg squares... I took one square home and drilled 2 x arrows into them, now the bag is only about 100 deep, but the arrow, from 5meters stopped with about 2 inches sticking out the back.AWESOME stopping power, what amazed me the most though was removal.. With the foam mat targets you buy at the ProShops you need both hands and a sturdy stance, or an arrow grip and a sturdy stance to pull them out.. With the lappies, I litteraly used 2 fingers and pulled them out like the were in my bow bag... No, and I mean no resistance at all, my 2 year old nephew will be able to pull them out only using his two fingers.. I am astonished by the stopping potential and removal effort(or lack their of) of the lappies..

Then I took 5(five.. Yes only 5ive) and spread them inside my improvised box target at the front.. Stopped the arrows about 3 inces in, pulled out just as easilly.. For the rest of the night, I just put the remaining bag behind those five lappies..

So I have ordered about 25kg lappies , to fill my target with..and will post the finished pics soon... Again if I knew the lappies would stop an arrow so well, I would have only needed about 15kg..

I also plan on adding wheels, and making a cover soon.. Will show progress...

Oh yeah, And While testing all this out I had my first "Almost" Robin Hood... I think its because I have Bullet Field Points... If it was my other arrows with the Combination Field Point.... who knows
Last edited by Pietleeu on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spreuke 3:1- Jong vriend, luister na my raad. Dink mooi oor die alledaagse lewe na.
Dink wat jy op die regte oomblik moet sê en wat jy moet doen, wie en wat jy eerder moet vermy. ’n Wyse manier van leef het groot waarde. 5- Moenie dink jy weet altyd die beste nie. Begin eerder elke dag weer van voor af om die Here lief te hê. En los tog al die slegte en verkeerde dinge.
Pietleeu
Private
Private

Postby Guardian » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:57 pm

Very nice.
So it sounds like you made a mesh box and then fill it in.
Many years ago we used a fertiliser bag filled with scrap offcut material and that stopped the arrow very well with no effort to pull out.
With the material the arrow didn't really go through but the material just cushioned it to a stop.
You just had to fluff the bag every now and then.
Bowtech Reign 6 & Experience
600gn arrows
Guardian
Major General (Moderator)
Major General (Moderator)

Postby SV MAD » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:36 am

Sounds nice! Photos' please
Elite Energy 35
80lb, 28.5DL.
Arrows: CE CXL 350 300fps (ABO), CE Piledriver 300 550gr (jag)

Hoyt Vantage Elite Plus
53lb, 28DL
Easton Eclipse X7 (Indoor)
SV MAD
Captain
Captain

Postby Pietleeu » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:11 am

Photos added in first post
Spreuke 3:1- Jong vriend, luister na my raad. Dink mooi oor die alledaagse lewe na.
Dink wat jy op die regte oomblik moet sê en wat jy moet doen, wie en wat jy eerder moet vermy. ’n Wyse manier van leef het groot waarde. 5- Moenie dink jy weet altyd die beste nie. Begin eerder elke dag weer van voor af om die Here lief te hê. En los tog al die slegte en verkeerde dinge.
Pietleeu
Private
Private

Postby Big D » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:58 am

Very very nice. Boere-Ingenuity, gotta love it!! :lol:
"Calm your heart, slow your breathing and deal with what is in front of you"
Big D
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Pietleeu » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:51 pm

So I have made some progress on my target and its 95% done...

I got the "lappies" and put in 20kg already, im still going to need about 5kg..

I also added wheels to move it around easier and gave it a Camo paint job...

All thats needed now is the streepsak front and back and one more 5kg of lappies... I also want to make a cover as it will stand outside..
Pietleeu
Private
Private

Postby Big D » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:13 pm

sien nou eers die post. En hoe het die projek toe geeindig PL?
"Calm your heart, slow your breathing and deal with what is in front of you"
Big D
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: My Lifetime Target Project

Postby MrBallistic » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:53 am

A suggestion if I may be so bold.
Buy a bag of cotton waste or usr underfelt from carpet and break it up fine, amazing stopping power.
Use shade cloth to cover the front and back. The holes allow acces and take a while until its destroyed and then can simply be replaced.

That is how I made mine except I used screen material with slight self healing properties. Its a little expensive so I've looked to a cheaper alternative and shade cloth works.
MATHEWS HALON X COMP
MATHEWS HALON X PRO
MATHEWS Z7 MAGNUM
I shoot because I can, I want to and I enjoy therefore I continue shooting!!!!
MrBallistic
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Return to Archery DIY